The Say Yes Tuition Scholarship is available to students who:
- Reside in Syracuse.
- Complete grades 10 – 12 in a Syracuse City School District or Syracuse charter high school or 9 through 11 for early graduates. With proper documentation, the following students are automatically deemed eligible regardless of consecutive years of school completion:
- Have refugee status on an Arrival-Departure Record (I-94) from U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) or be an otherwise eligible noncitizen.
- Legally designated as having McKinney-Vento status.
- Have documented Foster Care placement or are a ward of the court.
- Have graduated from a Syracuse City School District high school or Syracuse Academy of Science Charter School.
- Enroll full-time at a Say Yes Syracuse partner college or university skipping not more than one fall after high school graduation.
- Students with a documented 504 Plan and IEP status: Contact the Say Yes Syracuse office for further information regarding eligibility and requirements.
- Complete and remain eligible for FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid), and New York State TAP (Tuition Assistance Program).
You can be considered for eligibility if you do not meet the above eligibility criteria and you have extenuating circumstances. If you do not meet the above eligibility criteria and you would like to be considered for a tuition scholarship you can appeal your eligibility by clicking here. You can also contact Dana Lyons-Canty at 315-883-5555 or email@example.com.
What does a student need to do to remain eligible once they have been admitted and enroll?
You will need to complete a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) and New York State TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) application each year and complete the financial aid process at your college. Students must also maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress. For Say Yes, this is defined as successfully completing a minimum of 12 credit hours a semester and maintaining a GPA of 2.0 or better.
What happens if a student does not earn the required 12 credit hours or does not have a semester GPA of a 2.0 or better?
Your academic record will be reviewed at the end of each semester. If you have not met the student responsibilities (completed the required 12 credit hours and/or does not have a 2.0 or better for 2 consecutive semesters), you will not be eligible for Say Yes awards the following semester.
Students who do not meet the student responsibilities for 2 consecutive semesters are able to regain eligibility the following semester by meeting the student responsibilities, however will not receive a Say Yes award during that semester.